Tuesday, October 12, 2010


When I was in elementary school my dad would throw my dirt-bike in the back of his pickup truck and he’d drive me to the high school after all the teachers had gone home so that I could ride in the parking lot. I look upon those days with fond memories, well, all except one.

I remember rounding the building after a particularly blazing display of speed to see my father talking to a police officer who had just pulled up in his police car.  Our intentions where harmless, but the sight of my dad explaining our actions to the officer frightened me. I kept my distance.  “Better my dad go to prison than me,” I thought.  "He’s old (probably 39) and I have the rest of my life to live." To my surprise the officer got in his car and drove away.  He had told my dad to tell me to be careful.  Times have changed, and if you are an ATV owner, so has the law.

Ohio Law Changes Insurance For ATVs
The State of Ohio now requires all-terrain vehicles (ATVs) to be registered with the Bureau of Motor Vehicles. Vehicles that are subject to registration are excluded under homeowners insurance policies. This means that if your ATV is stolen, your homeowner’s insurance policy will not pay for the loss. The exception to this rule is that if you own a farm and have your home or country estate insured on a farm-owner’s insurance policy.  If you are not a farmer, and own an ATV, you can obtain insurance coverage for your ATV by purchasing an ATV insurance policy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment